You should take Tirosint exactly as your doctor prescribes.3
Follow these directions closely:3
- You should swallow Tirosint gel capsules whole. Do not crush or chew the capsules before swallowing them. If you or your child have difficulty swallowing the capsules whole, notify your doctor. Tirosint®-SOL (levothyroxine sodium) oral solution delivers the same benefits of Tirosint in an easy-to-swallow liquid formulation.12
- Do not remove Tirosint capsules from the original blister package until you are ready to take them.
- Take your prescribed dose of Tirosint 1 time each day, 30 minutes to an hour before breakfast, on an empty stomach.
- Certain other medications can interfere with how your body absorbs Tirosint. You should take Tirosint:
- at least 4 hours before or after you take medications that contain calcium carbonate or iron (ferrous sulphate).
- at least 4 hours before you take medications that contain bile acid sequestrants or ion exchange resins.
- Know the medications you take. You can ask your doctor to provide you a list of your prescribed medications and keep a record of what you take.
- Certain foods can affect your treatment and dosage of Tirosint. You should make your doctor aware if these products are a part of your regular diet. These include:
- Soybean flour
- Cottonseed meal
- Dietary fiber
- Your doctor should do certain blood tests to monitor your progress while you are taking Tirosint, and may change your prescribed daily dosage as needed. You should not stop taking Tirosint or change your dose unless your doctor tells you to.